2 Dead, Property Destroyed After Fire Burns Down Chapati Stall in Mbarara


People stand near the scene of the fire incident.
0Shares

Police in Mbarara have confirmed the death of two people who were burnt beyond recognition after a wooden makeshift structure was gutted  by fire in Mbarara municipality on Friday morning.

The fire is said to have broken out at midnight behind the Post Office building along Mbarara-Kabale highway.

Preliminary police investigations identified the deceased as one Kakuru, 20, and another only known as Godwin who was 15 years of age.

ASP Samson Kasasira, the Rwizi regional police Spokesperson said the every property in the wooden makeshift structure was burnt to ashes.

Kasasira says the structure was  a chapati kiosk.

Police suspects the fire could have originated from a burning charcoal stove on which dry beans were being boiled.

The two  dead people were staying in the same kiosk and were sleeping at the time of the fire outbreak..

The stall located opposite Pelikan Hotel was a popular spot for Mbarara residents seeking fast food, particularly chapattis,  Rolex and ‘Kyikomado’ which are a delicacy for many.

Most of the people rushed to save the place during the fire incident, unfortunately it was too late and nothing could be rescued.

Some sources say the owner of the kiosk used to lock the workers inside the structure, in the night which made it difficult for first respondents to save them on Friday.

ASP Kasasira said that shortly after the fire outbreak, Police rescue fire brigade arrived on the scene but much of the property had been destroyed and the two lives lost.

“It was between 11pm last night towards 1am. Of course the fire brigade went there to put off the fire, but it was too late because these people had already died and the wooden structure was totally damaged,” Kasasira said.

“They (deceased) are still unknown but the people on ground know them as Godwin and another one as Kakuru. But we haven’t ascertained their details. No one has come claiming them”.

“Even the owner of the makeshift has not yet come out, so we are trying to find who the owner is in order to  inquire from them who these people are and where they come from. This will help us to hand the bodies to the respective families,” explained Kasasira.

Locals said that property worth Shs 3M was estimated to have been destroyed. These included cartoons of wheat flour, jerry cans of cooking oil, sacks of beans and peas.

Bodies of the victims were taken to Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital (MRRH) mortuary for postmortem and DNA tests to help with investigations into the matter.

People stand near the scene of the fire incident.

0Shares
Got Something To Say?

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *