Isingiro district chairman, Jeremiah Birungi Kamurari has announced that he will be running for the Bukanga county MP seat in the 2021 general elections.
Kamurari, made the announcement Thursday during a press conference held at Little Woods Inn in Mbarara.
Currently, Bukanga county is being represented by Steven Kangwagye in Parliament having succeeded the late Gregory Matovu who succumbed to cancer of the throat in 2013.
Kamurari claims the people of Bukanga have suffered, and accused the incumbent Member of Parliament of underperforming.
“Members of the press, I am glad to announce before you that Isingiro has numerous challenges particularly Bukanga county. It is the only county in the western part of Uganda that has no tarmac road which connects to the hinterland with the border of Mutukula,” Kamurari told reporters.
“It is also the only county that has no open livestock markets, has no hopes for elderly money, no domestic water yet it is a county deemed to be ruled by a member from the first family,” he went on to say.
He said that the constituents of Bukanga continue to lives in a miserable conditions due to poor representation in Parliament.
Kamurari outlined some of the achievements he has registered during his three-year tenure as district chairperson, including; opening livestock markets, creation of feeder roads, town councils and sub counties for administrative purposes and increase in local revenue collections.
He said that for the remaining gaps in service delivery to be filled, it is important that he gets into Parliament where the powers to lobby are much more significant.
“The position of LCV can not lobby very well for other remaining services unless I shift my goals from the chairperson LC V to be the Member of Parliament,” explained Kamurari.
“I have served my people very diligently and 70% of my work is done. I am only remaining with 30% which I must also fulfill before I leave that sit” he said.
He accuses the incumbent MP of failing to deliver on his campaign promises, even after convincing his constituents that as a member of the first family, he was better placed to lobby for services.
“We have written to Hon. MP for Bukanga several times reminding him about that road Kabingo- Rugaga-Ntantamuki road that is under UNRA but to my chagrin, up to now, we don’t see any forthcoming tangible results”.
“We can not keep on holding a baby who died earlier. We better put him aside and opt for marriage to have a new born”.
He told the press that he is not worried about state machinery, intimidation and electoral malpractices when it comes to primary and general elections. He intends to stand on the NRM ticket.
“You are aware that the issue of use of state machinery, deployment of the army, beating, voter bribery and ballot stuffing have all characterized elections in Bukanga before, but have not yielded any tangible results”.