Armed abductors in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who on Sunday kidnapped two Ugandan Primary Seven learners, have released them after family paid Shs 3.5 million as ransom, Police says.
The victims are Niwagaba Ronald, 18 and Tweheyo Dan, 16, both primary seven pupils of Rukarara Primary School in Kanyantorogo sub-county in Kanungu district.
They were kidnapped from the DRC where Police earlier said they had gone to harvest bananas in their uncle’s plantation. Their abductors demanded USD 3,000 (Shs 11m) as a ransom to have them released.
However, on Wednesday, Kigezi region Police spokesperson, Elly Matte said in a statement that the victims had been released.
“The two kidnapped people for ransom from Kanungu on 22/04/19 namely Niwagaba Ronald and Tweheyo Dan were last evening released from captivity in DRC after the family paid 3.5m UGX. They were received by the family members in good health condition. Inquiries continue and Kihihi CRR 078/2019 refers,” Matte said in a statement.
Asked to provide details on how the ransom was paid, Matte declined, saying it wasn’t the Police that made the payment, but rather the family members.