President Kenyatta: Perpetrators of Nairobi Terror Attack Will be Pursued, Held to Account


Kenya's President, Uhuru Kenyatta.
51Shares

NAIROBI – Kenya’s President, Uhuru Kenyatta has assured Kenyans that his government will not relent until the perpetrators and collaborators of Tuesday’s deadly terrorist attack which claimed 14 people are pursued and held to account.

Kenyatta was addressing the nation on Wednesday, a day after gunmen attacked Dusit D2 Hotel along 14 Riverside Drive in Westlands, Nairobi which houses offices and hotels, opened fire and detonated explosives.

As of Wednesday morning, the operation by security agencies to rescue and neutralize the attackers had been ended, President Kenyatta said. Over 700 people were rescued but 14 people were killed while others sustained injuries.

President Kenyatta in his address made strong assurance that Kenya is ready to deal with acts of terrorism and that those behind the latest attack will be dealt with.

“We are a nation that never forgets those who hurt our children. We have dealt with the threat decisively and showed the whole world that we as a country are ready to deal with any threat to our nation,” President Kenyatta said.

“This morning, I convened a meeting of the Security Council and we will seek out every person that was involved in the funding, planning and execution of this heinous act. We will pursue relentlessly wherever they will be until they are held to account,” he added.

Kenyatta said Kenya remains on high security alert but was quick to assure the international community, those intending to visit Kenya as well as the citizens that they are guaranteed of security.

“I assure every Kenyan and visitors of security in the country”.

He said that multiple security measures are being taken both within Kenya and in the region to detect, deter and defeat any terror groups.

The President who was accompanied by his deputy, William Ruto, reminded Kenyans of their responsibility in securing the country and urged them to inform authorities of any suspicious actions.

Kenyatta said that in the coming days and weeks, his government shall continue “the never ending work of strengthening our systems”.

“We will continue to take every necessary step to make our country unhospitable to terrorist groups and their networks,” he said.

“We are in the process of building a new Kenya that is prosperous, secure and inclusive and in which every Kenyan has an opportunity to thrive. We will allow no one to frustrate our progress. We have prevailed and shall always prevail over evil”.

Kenya’s Security Minister, Fred Matiang’i who addressed the press at the scene of the attack on Wednesday credited security for “swiftly” handling the situation.

“I have come here to thank the men and women in uniform. Our security teams have done a fantastic job. It is a very unfortunate situation that we found ourselves in but they have done us proud,” he said.

“The operation was executed very well, swiftly and very precisely. Phase One of this operation has come to an end. We will move to Phase Two which is handling the criminal aspects of this situation,” Matiang’i said, adding that the hotel still remains an active scene of crime as security and investigators begin to collect and piece together evidence.

He further explained that Kenya will not be intimidated by the attack, saying they will not “retreat and bend” to the terrorists.

Matiang’i assured the people of Kenya that the country is safe and that the security agencies are ready to defend the country.

51Shares
Got Something To Say?

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *