Residents of Maganjo, Nansana municipality in Wakiso district have Thursday morning woken up to shock after an explosive likely to be a grenade exploded at Mother Care Primary School leaving pupils injured.
According to eye witnesses, the incident happened early in the morning at around 6:50am as the pupils had just reported to school.
“We heard a blast and rushed to the school, we saw smoke coming out of one of the classrooms. It is at this time that we saw two of the pupils in pain and injured by an explosive,” said one of the eye witnesses.
She continues, “We made an alarm and cried for help, seeing two pupils being sorrounded by fellow pupils but in lots of pain”.
The two, all candidates for Primary Seven, that were injured included a one Ashraf Igema whose hand was cut off by the explosive while Ritah Namakula had her one eye seriously injured.
Both pupils were rushed to Mulago hospital after residents called an ambulance from the nearby private hospital.
Some of the pupils narrated to SoftPower News that one of their colleagues brought the explosive to school and told them that he had picked it on his way home yesterday.
“When we saw the metal, Igema was so curious and wanted to know what the metal was. He tampered with it and it went off,” narrated the pupils.
The Police Bomb Squad from Kawempe Police Station led by the O.C Station, Agnes Anywor later arrived at the scene of crime and began carrying out investigations.
Anywor told journalists at the scene of crime that the school has been thoroughly checked and it is now safe to continue with the operations as further investigations continue.
“We have properly checked the school and now it’s safe for students”.
Speaking about the incident, Kampala Metropolitan Police Spokesperson, ASP Luke Owesigyire noted that Police experts from Bomb squard have picked the fragraments and are yet to identify the explosive.
“We have also established that the unidentified object was brought into the school by Kasoozi Abdul, 12 years, also a pupil after he picked it yesterday on his way home and later carried it to school today,” Owoyesigyire said.