Rwanda Residents Worried as Coronavirus Cases Rise To 17


Courtesy image of corona virus
0Shares

Rwanda has Friday identified 6 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the confirmed total to 17 across the country.

A statement by Rwanda’s Ministry of Health indicates that the new victims include a French woman, 30, whose domestic partner was previously confirmed positive along with their son aged 10 months, a Rwandan man, 32, who arrived from Dubai, UAE on March 19, 2020, whose symptoms were detected by airport screening upon arrival and subjected to testing as well as a Swedish man, 26, who arrived from Sweden on March 3, 2020 and reported symptoms on March 18.

Others are a Rwandan man, 32, who is a frequent traveler and reported symptoms on March 18 and another Rwandan man, 24, who arrived in Rwanda on March 19 from India via Doha Qatar.

“All patients remain under treatment in stable condition, isolated from other patients. The tracing of all contacts has been conducted for further management,” says the health ministry in a statement.

Rwanda has since directed all individuals who arrived in the country within the past two weeks to self quarantine for 14 days from the date of arrival and follow all self quarantine guidelines issued by government.

The country now has the second highest number of case of the pandemic in East and Central Africa after Democratic Republic of Congo which has 18.

Speaking to SoftPower News on condition of anonymity a resident of Kigali, said on Friday that he was afraid that many more cases are not yet identified since the confirmed cases are identified days after associating with other people.

“Corona virus here is alarming and what is worst is that these cases are being detected after weeks when the patients have had contact with countless people and families. God help us,” he said.

Tonight, Rwanda will halt all arriving and departing commercial passenger flights, including Rwanda Air for the next 30 days as one of the measures to prevent and control the spread of the virus.

The disease whose first case was reported in China in December last year has killed more than 10,000 people globally. Latest figures indicate that there are 272,042 Coronavirus case so far confirmed, 11,299 deaths and 90,618 who recovered from the disease already declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation.

Uganda is the only country in the East African region without a confirmed case of the pandemic. President Yoweri Museveni on Wednesday banned all public gatherings including suspending school going, entertainments events, church services and weddings with more than 10 people, for a period of one month to reduce the risk of transmitting the Coronavirus.

The Head of State has since announced a National Day of Prayer on the same, to be held tomorrow Saturday, March 21, 2020 at Statehouse Entebbe.

0Shares
Got Something To Say?

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *