The Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) and Uganda Police have Tuesday regarded as false social media reports indicating that officers of the Local Defence Unit (LDU) had shot dead three people in Nateete near Kampala while enforcing the presidential directives prohibiting people to stay at home to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The social media post says that “LDU have just shot dead 3 young men in Nateete after they found them walking in a group of 5. The other 2 were seriously injured and we are waiting for an ambulance to come and take them to hospital.”
But the army and Ministry of Defense spokesperson Brig Richard Karemire late Tuesday dismissed the claims saying no incident of shooting occured in the area.
“There has not been any shooting incident in Nateete involving security forces. Take that news circulating as false. Stay home and stay safe,” the Army Spokesperson wrote on Facebook.
Earlier, Kampala Metropolitan Deputy Police spokesperson, ASP Luke Owoyesigire had challenged people who were alleging to come out and avail clear details to aid police in identifying the scene. He said, after reading about the said incident on social media, Police tried to find the scene with no headway.
“Those who are posting the images, please come out with clear details otherwise Nateete Police Station has failed to locate the scene of the alleged shooting,” Owoyesigire posted on social media.
He would later regard the post as as fake and asked the public to disregard it.
“This is not true. There has not been such shooting incident in the said area. The public should disregard the post as it’s aimed at feeding fake news and also causing panic,” Owoyesigire said.
He urged the public to fight fake news as the country deals with fighting the spread of COVID-19 a disease that has killed more than 40,000 people globally since confirming its first case in China last year.