Kasese – State Minister for Health in charge of General Duties, Sarah Opendi has dismissed media reports that an Ebola outbreak had been reported in Uganda.
Speaking to the media in Kasese district on Thursday, Minister Opendi said that Ugandan health workers are doing their best to prevent Ebola.
“The last Ebola case was reported in Beni, DR Congo which is about 76kms from Bwera, here in Uganda,” she said.
The Minister said that the team of health workers camped at the Uganda – DR Congo border to screen between 5,000-10,000 people that cross to Uganda from DR Congo for trade.
“Our teams have done their best to screen everybody that comes from DR Congo into Uganda” Minister Opendi said.
According to Minister Opendi, Uganda is extremely prepared to attend to any Ebola case once reported in any part of the country.
The Minister’s reassurance on the readiness to keep Ebola away from Uganda comes a week after government received five ambulances from the World Food Program (WFP) that will help in monitoring districts at high risk of Ebola outbreak.
Uganda borders Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) which was last year hit by the deadly Ebola virus. Available data indicates that since last year, 1,029 cases of Ebola have been confirmed in DRC while 642 people have died.
The donated ambulances will boost government’s Ebola response and preparedness activities.