Uganda Registers Second Ebola Death in Kasese


Health workers at the Ebola Treatment Unit which has been set up in Bwera, Kasese.
0Shares

Uganda has registered the second death out of the now three confirmed Ebola cases in the western district of Kasese, the Ministry of Health has confirmed.

On Wednesday, the Minister of Health, Dr Jane Ruth Aceng, said two more Ebola cases had been confirmed.

The confirmation came only a day after the Ministry together with World Health Organization (WHO) announced an outbreak of Ebola in Uganda.

Also Read: Health Ministry Reports 2 More Confirmed and 3 Suspected Ebola Cases in Kasese

The first confirmed case was a 5 year old Congolese child who traveled from the DRC with his family on 9th June 2019.

The child and his family entered the country through Bwera border post and sought medical care at Kagando hospital where health workers identified Ebola as a possible cause of illness. However, the boy who was receiving supportive treatment at Bwera ETU later died.

Aceng said the two other cases that tested positive for Ebola included a brother of the 5-year-old boy and the grandmother. The entire family had crossed into Uganda from neighbouring DRC where the virus has so far two thirds of the 2,000 Ebola cases recorded so far.

“That gives us a total of 8 people. Three confirmed cases, three suspects and two cases that are yet to be defined, ” the Minister said on Wednesday.

But one of the positive cases – the grandmother – has also died. The Minister told SoftPower News that she passed on Wednesday evening.

Meanwhile, on arrival in Kasese district, Minister Aceng also met with the leadership of Obusinga bwa Rwenzururu (Kingdom of Rwenzururu) led by the Prime Minister.

She held discussions with the committee the burial of Biira Mukirania, the mother to Rwenzururu King, Charles Wesley Mumbere, on how best to handle the burial in order to mitigate further spread of the virus.

The burial is set for Tuesday next week and Minister Aceng told this news website that government will not allow mass gatherings.

She said a detailed statement would be issued Thursday.

0Shares
Got Something To Say?

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *