URSB Cracks Down on Video Libraries Selling Pirated Films

URSB enforcement team and Police raided video libraries in downtown Kampala.

The enforcement unit of Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) together with Police have raided video libraries in downtown Kampala and confiscated movies considered to have been on sale illegally.

URSB said the films that were being sold lacked the security device issued by the Uganda Federation of Movie Industry (UFMI).

“Today we carried out an enforcement downtown where we confiscated films that were being sold without a security device issued by the Uganda Federation of Movie Industry (UFMI),” the Bureau posted on Facebook.

“We urge all video library owners to get licensed  by UFMI to enable you trade legally”.

Filmmakers in Uganda have often decried the issue of piracy and abuse of copyright laws as one of the challenges the nascent industry is grappling with.

They say the video libraries continue to rip them off by selling their works yet they (filmmakers) get nothing in return.

URSB in collaboration with the Uganda Police established an Enforcement Unit to facilitate enforcement against counterfeit and piracy.

Piracy refers to goods which are copies of the copyright protected work made without the consent of the copyright holder or person duly authorized by the right holder such as a collective management organization (CMO).

Copy right piracy deals with the criminal infringement of Copyright and Rights related to copyright known as neighboring rights.

Copy right piracy is alleged where: a person without authorization from the protected copyright owner makes copies directly or indirectly from the copyright work by.

It also involved reproducing, fixing, duplicating, extracting, imitating or importing into Uganda the pirated and distributing in Uganda by way of sale, hire, and rental of pirated work..

Piracy is a criminal offence under the Copyright and Neighboring Rights Act.

Where a copyright or neighboring right holder suspects an infringement, one can lodge a complaint with the Registrar General. The complaint has to provide sufficient information of ownership of copyright or neighboring right which is usually a Certificate of Registration.

Got Something To Say?

Leave a comment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *